Land Preservation: For Landowners
South Jersey Land & Water Trust works to preserve and protect farmland, open space and critical habitats within South Jersey.
In addition, SJLWT assists land owners and municipalities in the often complicated farmland and open space preservation process.
There are many benefits to preserving open space in South Jersey:
- Increasing property values in areas adjacent to or in close proximity of preserved spaces;
- Promoting eco-tourism activities, such as bird watching, hunting, hiking, canoeing, etc.;
- Recharging groundwater and aquifers due to increased soil filtration rates;
- Providing wildlife habitat for migratory songbirds, threatened and endangered plants and animals, native vegetation and endemic species;
- Reducing air and water pollution through absorption of contaminants;
- Improving the overall well-being of the community and its inhabitants;
- Ensuring that a family-owned “heritage property” is preserved for generations to come;
- Reducing urban sprawl and encroachment;
You should be excited to preserve your property now!! There are several options for preservation methods, including the following:
- Fee Simple Acquisition
- Installment Purchase
- Lease-Back Agreements
- Donation/ Bargain Sale
- Long-Term Lease
- Eminent Domain
- Tax Foreclosure
- Official Greenways Map
A more detailed version of this document is available to download or print at the bottom of this page.
Please keep in mind that the South Jersey Land & Water Trust has preserved or helped to preserve many properties in South Jersey, and we are happy to assist with any question or concerns you may have. Feel free to contact us to start the process of preservation, whether it is a family farm, your municipality’s first park, or an open meadow bird sanctuary.